SubjectRe: Fake ext3 corruption on raid5 in 2.6 .9 smp
Hi,

I saw this exact same error (EXT3-fs error (device dm-x): ext3_readdir:
bad entry in directory #nnnnnnn: rec_len % 4 != 0 - offset=0, inode=xxxxxxxx,
rec_len=...

from time to time in my non-SMP RAID system with 512Mb RAM, with ext3 on LVM on top of RAID5.

Never caused actual corruption - run FSCK, no errors, remount rw
successfully until next time; error rarely in the same place, but always
in a directory and rec_len % 4 != 0. Looks like an 'in-kernel' thing,
because (e.g.) running find on the volume after remounting rw produced
no issues, so presumably the on-disk directory wasn't *really* the
issue.

Filesystems between about 8 and 50 Gb, and not what I'd characterise as a
heavy load.

This was with about 2.6.4 - 2.6.7. I'm running 2.6.11 now and haven't
seen it in some time; so it was either fixed by 2.6.11, or mounting ro
by default has just reduced my exposure.

John Pearson.

On Thu, May 26, 2005 at 11:34:24AM +0200, Olivier Guerrier wrote

--
Voice: +61 8 8202 9040
Email: jpearson@oasissystems.com.au

Oasis Systems Pty Ltd
288 Glen Osmond Road
Fullarton, South Australia 5063

Ph: + 61 8 82029000
Fax: +61 8 82029001

CAUTION: This email and any attachments may contain information that is
confidential and subject to copyright. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not read, use, disseminate, distribute or
copy this email or any attachments. If you have received this
email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and
erase this email and any attachments.

DISCLAIMER: OASIS Systems uses virus-scanning technology but accepts
no responsibility for loss or damage arising from the use of the
information transmitted by this email including damage from virus.

  Last update: 2005-05-27 03:45    [W:0.052 / U:0.064 seconds]