    SubjectRe: RT patch acceptance
    Andi Kleen wrote:
    > I really dislike the idea of interrupt threads. It seems totally
    > wrong to me to make such a fundamental operation as an interrupt
    > much slower. If really any interrupts take too long they should
    > move to workqueues instead and be preempted there.

    That is the basic idea but is being applied by default.
    There is nothing more happening here than pushing the limits
    of the design. Certainly there will be some inefficiencies
    introduced in the process where some interrupt payload
    would have been more efficiently executed in exception
    context. If it makes sense on a system-wide basis to
    do so, it can be reverted on a case-by-case basis. This is
    after all experimental code.

    Yet there are other factors which influence the decision
    of a running context for the interrupt payload. Depending
    on how other code in the system best synchronizes with the
    payload, minimizing interrupt disable time in either
    payload code and/or coordinating code, etc..

    > Most spinlocks only protect small code parts. Those that protect
    > larger codes can probably use optionally some different lock.
    > But dont attack it with "one size fits all" locking please.

    This another case of a sweeping change to the default
    behavior. Again an experiment to push the limits of the
    given design. Clearly we aren't buying anything to trade off
    a spinlock protecting the update of a single pointer with a
    blocking lock and associated context switching. But it does
    demonstrate code previously relying on synchronization via
    polled lock faired remarkably well with preemptive blocking

      Last update: 2005-05-27 01:49    [W:0.020 / U:30.272 seconds]