    SubjectRe: RT patch acceptance
    On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 04:14:26PM -0700, Daniel Walker wrote:
    > Hello World!
    >
    > I went to see Andrew Morton speak at Xerox PARC and he indicated that
    > some of the RT patch was a little crazy . Specifically interrupts in
    > threads (Correct me if I'm wrong Andrew). It seems a lot of the
    > maintainers haven't really warmed up to it.
    >
    > I don't know to what extent Ingo has lobbied to try to get acceptance
    > into an unstable or stable kernel. However, since I know Andrew is cold
    > to accepting it , I thought I would ask what would need to be done to
    > the RT patch so that it could be accepted?
    >
    > I think the fact that some distributions are including RT patched
    > kernels is a sign that this technology is getting mature. Not to mention
    > the fact that it's a 600k+ patch and getting bigger everyday.
    >
    > I'm sure there are some people fiercely opposed to it, some of whom I've
    > already run into. What is it about RT that gets people's skin crawling?
    > It is a configure option after all.

    Personally I think interrupt threads, spinlocks as sleeping mutexes and PI
    is something we should keep out of the kernel tree. If you want such
    advanced RT features use a special microkernel and run Linux as user
    process, using RTAI or maybe soon some of the more sofisticated virtualization
    technologies.

      Last update: 2005-05-24 07:52    [W:0.023 / U:0.436 seconds]