SubjectRe: RT patch acceptance
On Tuesday 24 May 2005 19:46, Lee Revell wrote:
>On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 18:31 -0400, Karim Yaghmour wrote:
>> I've taken enough bandwidth as it is
>> on this thread, and I frankly don't think that any of what I
>> said above has added any more information for those who've
>> read my previous postings. I only got into this thread to point
>> out that some info about RTAI was wrong. So like I told Ingo,
>> if rt-preempt gets in, then so be it.
>
>Here's my favorite excerpt:
>
>On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 16:11, Karim Yaghmour wrote:
>> And this has been demonstrated mathematically/algorithmically to
>> be true 100% of the time, regardless of the load and the driver
>> set? IOW, if I was building an automated industrial saw (based on
>> a VP+IRQ-thread kernel or a combination of the above-mentioned
>> agregate) with a safety mechanism that depended on the kernel's
>> responsivness to outside events to avoid bodily harm, would you be
>> willing to put your hand beneath it?
>
>Maybe -RT should be merged when Ingo puts his hand under the saw.
>
>Lee

Off topic sorry, can't resist.

Maybe so Lee, but first we'ed better check with the USTPO, as one of
the major table saw makers is actually selling a saw that you can
stick a weiner into while its running, and a common bandaid can cover
the damage. The blade is stopped before the next tooth after the one
that initially contacts the weiner can come around and do more than
scratch the weiner. The stop is a bit noisy I assume considering you
are stopping a blade turning 3k to 6k rpms in 1/4" of linear motion
at the rim of the blade, and rather expensive, ISTR a $400 option in
their top of the line 10 inch table saws. Because of the larger
components, the 14" saw carries over $1k premium for that option.

>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
> linux-kernel" in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
message by Gene Heskett are:

  Last update: 2005-05-25 05:44    [W:0.212 / U:0.088 seconds]