SubjectRe: Issues with INET sockets through loopback (lo)
Date
On Monday 23 May 2005 14:09, DervishD wrote:
> With 3-1 I get an usage of 20% more or less. But with 16-1 the
> CPU usage is nearly 0! and with 16-16 the usage is 5% more or less.

That even worse than what I have experienced.

> > I have tried more regular communication patterns but this gives full CPU
> > utilization as expected. For instance sending messages in a ring (attach:
> > ring-inet.c).
>
> Not here. It uses 29% instead of 20% with 3-1, but drops to 6%
> when using 16 processes. Far from full CPU usage. A test with 16-160
> doesn't make the system slower or irresponsive, at least here...

Again, even worse.

> Not here. I haven't noticed any slow-down or latency increase
> using high number of messages. Using 16-160 only uses at most 7% of
> CPU per process, and I don't feel the system irresponsive.

That's strange. Maybe I should try an AMD system myself. Btw the number of
processes is an upper bound of the number of messages. This is just a
simplification in the code.

> If you want more accurate results, try to modify your test
> programs: make them run for a couple of minutes (you decide how much
> time, the longer, the better) and kill all children processes. After
> that, use getrusage() (with RUSAGE_CHILDREN) or wait3(). That should
> give more accurate results.

I could do that, but my point is that kernel goes into the idle state even
though there always should be a runable process. Your tests supports this.
I don't believe that more accuracy would help because it is quite clear that
CPU is in the idle state.

> Hope that helps. If you want to make any other test, tell me.
> I'll try to help.

Thanx. Your tests actually confirms the first issue, which also is the one
that I have been most concerned about.

I hope that someone with knowledge of how this part of the kernel work can
confirm that this is a problem with the kernel or explain why it is supposed
to behave in this manor.

Hans Henrik Happe

  Last update: 2005-05-24 14:15    [W:0.064 / U:0.100 seconds]