SubjectRe: enable-reads-on-plextor-712-sa-on-26115.patch added to -mm tree
Andy Stewart wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>By hardcoding so much of the inquiry data, this patch -overwrites- valid
>>inquiry data provided by the device, with generic data. This patch
>>makes generic the probe data that the SCSI layer -depends on to be
>>different-.

> The SCSI inquiry command does not work on this device for reasons
> unknown to me. I saw in the code where the SCSI inquiry command was
> "emulated", or handled in software, for ATA devices. I simply copied
> that method for ATAPI devices. At least that was my intent. I cloned
> one function, modified it slightly, and (I thought) called it in a
> reasonable place.

All of SCSI is emulated for ATA; for ATAPI, 99% of SCSI is passed
through to the underlying device. The two must be treated very differently.

The SCSI layer needs to see the per-device data returned by passing the
INQUIRY command to the device via the ATA PACKET command.

>>Effectively you made one CD-ROM device work, killed all the others, and
>>enabled an oops generator.
>

> I fail to see how other devices would have been killed by this patch.

The SCSI layer discovers, and interprets devices based on the data
returned by the INQUIRY command. Your patch causes the kernel to act as
if all ATAPI devices behave just like your Plextor, which is very very
wrong.

It's a good thing nobody tried to use an ATAPI tape drive with your
patch, for example. The kernel would have thought it was a CD-ROM, and
tried to talk to it as such.

> I tested this patch on my system with many different reads, mounts, and
> unmounts and never generated an oops. Would you tell me what you did
> that caused an oops? That would help me to improve my testing before
> attempting to submit future patches.

Any use of ATAPI in certain drivers (like AHCI) will cause an oops,
because those drivers are not yet fully ATAPI aware.

>>Good show.
>

> Aw, come on, Jeff. I gave it a shot, I'm trying to give back to the
> community rather than simply complain. OK, so my work isn't perfect,
> and you've pointed ont valid technical reasons why. At least *I tried*
> to contribute code rather than just offering complaints, and I'm willing
> to admit that I'll need to try harder in the future.

There's nothing wrong with contributing to ATAPI debugging and development!

We just don't need to be merging such a broken patch into -mm, where it
will cause more headaches than it will solve.

Thou Shalt Not Turn On ATAPI Before Its Time. It's still in the realm
of debugging patches.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-05-24 05:35    [W:0.057 / U:0.072 seconds]