    SubjectRe: [Patch] vfs: increase scope of critical locked path in fget_light to avoid race
    On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 10:28:24PM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
    > On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 11:25:50AM -0400, Neil Horman wrote:
    > > I don't have the complete race scenario, just a stack that suggests that
    > > files->fd was corrupted. This problem isn't recreatable at will (yet), so this
    > > is really based on a thought experiment more than anything else. The conditions
    > > that I was envisioning was a multithreaded application in which two threads
    > > modified the same file descriptor at the same time. Its my understanding, from
    > > the way I read the code that the ref count on a file_struct will still be one
    > > for a multithreaded application, and as such it would be possible, using the
    > > fget_light routine for one thread to be be preforming an operation on an
    > > descriptor in the fd array, while another thread preformed another operation
    > Incorrect. References to files_struct are held by task_struct. Kernel
    > stack is determined by task_struct. So your two threads would have
    > to share task_struct (i.e. be purely userland ones) and could not
    > run in the kernel at the same time for very obvious reasons.
    > The rules are simple:
    > * all access to files_struct is done from upper-half (i.e. is
    > process-synchronous).
    > * the only files_struct you can modify is *(current->files)
    > * each task_struct that has ->files pointing to given files_struct
    > contributes 1 to ->count of that files_struct. There might be other holders
    > of temporary references and they also contribute to ->count.
    > * all changes of task->files itself are process-synchronous. Only
    > two kinds of changes are possible:
    > 1) current->files can be set to NULL. That drops a reference to
    > original files_struct.
    > 2) current->files can be replaced with a pointer to a new copy of
    > previous files_struct. This operations drops a reference to old one and
    > sets the refcount on a copy to 1. It could either be done explicitly (when
    > unshare(2) gets merged into Linus' tree) or implicitly at the clone()/fork()
    > time. In the latter case that's done by parent to child before the child
    > gets a chance to run.
    > * at task creation time, child inherits ->files from parent; that
    > acquires a new reference to it. That might be followed by implicit unshare()
    > (see above). fork(2) always unshares ->files, clone(2) does that unless
    > CLONE_FILES had been passed to it in flags.
    > IOW, the only way for two tasks to have ->files pointing to the same object
    > is to have it unchanged all the way back to common ancestor. In particular,
    > if current->files->count is 1, we know that no other task has ->files pointing
    > to our files_struct and that will remain true until we call clone(). It does
    > *not* mean that current->files->count will remain 1; somebody might acquire
    > a temporary reference to our files_struct. However, we are guaranteed that
    > all such references will be used only for read-only access (that happens,
    > e.g., when somebody does ls /proc/<our_pid>/fd - they will grab a reference
> [...]
    Ok, thanks for the through explination here, quite educational. I'll go looking
    for other causes for this.

    Thanks and regards

    *Neil Horman
    *Software Engineer
    *Red Hat, Inc.
    *gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1

      Last update: 2005-05-21 15:19    [W:0.024 / U:4.420 seconds]