    SubjectRe: GDB, pthreads, and kernel threads
    Nix wrote:

    >On 18 May 2005, John Clark announced authoritatively:
    >>Most of my work has been in the kernel and I had not paid attention to
    >>user 'threads'. However, I have at the moment to a need to debug a
    >>user 'pthread' based applicaiton, that I may want to move into the kernel.
    >>However, I can't seem to figure out how to get GDB to debug my user
    >>pthreads app. What is the correct setup to debug pthreads based applications
    >>now that it seems that pthreads implementation generates processes/threads
    >>in the kernel.
    >Use a recent GDB (>=6.2) and things should just work. (At least, they do
    >for me.)

    I built the latest GDB-6.3, as well as rebuilt glibc-2.3.5, and now when
    I step through the
    main code line, which creates the tasks (I'm using the pthreads.c from
    the GDB testsuite), I do
    not getany output from:

    info threads

    When I set a break point on the entry point of one of the
    soon-to-be-created threads,
    I get a diagnostic message:

    Program terminated with signal SIGTRAP, Trace/Breakpoint trap.
    The program no longer exists.

    On the machine being used to debug the kernel is: 2.6.5.

    Is there any problems with that kernel, or should I upgrade to a more
    recent vintage

    John Clark

      Last update: 2005-05-18 18:37    [W:0.020 / U:52.064 seconds]