SubjectRe: Mercurial 0.4e vs git network pull
Date
On Sun, 2005-05-15 at 14:40 +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
> Dear diary, on Sun, May 15, 2005 at 01:22:19PM CEST, I got a letter
> where "Adam J. Richter" <adam@yggdrasil.com> told me that...
> >
> > I don't understand what was wrong with Jeff Garzik's previous
> > suggestion of using http/1.1 pipelining to coalesce the round trips.
> > If you're worried about queuing too many http/1.1 requests, the client
> > could adopt a policy of not having more than a certain number of
> > requests outstanding or perhaps even making a new http connection
> > after a certain number of requests to avoid starving other clients
> > when the number of clients doing one of these transfers exceeds the
> > number of threads that the http server uses.
>
> The problem is that to fetch a revision tree, you have to
>
> send request for commit A
> receive commit A
> look at commit A for list of its parents
> send request for the parents
> receive the parents
> look inside for list of its parents

What about IMAP? You could ask for just the parents for several messages
(via a message header), then start asking for message bodies (with the
juicy stuff in). You could also ask for a list of the new commits then
ask for each of the bodies (several at a time). Not as good as a "Just
give me all new data", but an *awful* lot more efficient than HTTP. And
very flexible. You just need to map changesets to IMAP messages (if such
a mapping can actually make sense :)

Prolly a bit more work though.

--
Tristan Wibberley

The opinions expressed in this message are my own opinions and not those
of my employer.