SubjectRe: patch tulip-natsemi-dp83840a-phy-fix.patch added to -mm tree
On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 12:46:09PM -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Simply ensure that tulip_select_media() is always called from a process
> context. Then can you delay all you want. Several of the calls are
> already this way, so that leaves two cases:
>
> 1) called from timer context, from the media poll timer
>
> 2) called from spin_lock_irqsave() context, in the ->tx_timeout hook.
>
> The first case can be fixed by moved all the timer code to a workqueue.
> Then when the existing timer fires, kick the workqueue.
>
> The second case can be fixed by kicking the workqueue upon tx_timeout
> (which is the reason why I did not suggest queue_delayed_work() use).

Thanks - the above guidance has much more detail than you offered before
and is much more useful.
Too bad that schedule_timeout() was the only option at the time. :^(

And I apologize I don't recall what the issues were with schedule_timeout().
I suspect they will rear their ugly head with the workqueue
implementation as well. But if they don't, that will be great.

> See, it's not rocket science :)

Well, then it's a great opportunity for someone interested in hacking
NIC drivers to cut their teeth on. :^)

After three years of using/maintaining the (trivial) tulip patch
in parisc-linux tree (and shipped with RH/SuSe ia64 releases),
I don't recall anyone complaining that udelays in tulip phy reset
caused them problems. Sorry, I'm unmotivated to revisit this.
Convince someone else to make tulip to use workqueues and I'll
resubmit a clean patch on top of that for the phy init sequences.

thanks,
grant

  Last update: 2005-05-17 00:34    [W:0.096 / U:0.300 seconds]