SubjectRe: RT and Cascade interrupts
Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Daniel Walker <dwalker@mvista.com> wrote:
>

>> It seems like the cascade interrupts could run in threads, but
>>i386 doesn't, and I know ARM crashed with cascades in threads. You may
>>have a bit of a slow down, but it seems possible. Does anyone have
>>some reasoning for why we aren't running the cascades in threads?
>

> are the x86 cascade interrupts real ones in fact? Normally they should
> never trigger directly. (except on ARM which has a completely different
> notion of cascade irq)

I just caught this thread in the corner of my eye.

I'm seeing the BUG assert in kernel/timers.c:cascade()
kick in (tmp->base is somehow 0) during a test which
creates a few tasks of priority higher than ksoftirqd.
This race doesn't happen if ksoftirqd's priority is
elevated (eg: chrt -f -p 75 2) so the -RT patch might
be opening up a window here.

I'm in the process of investigating this and see a few
potential suspects but was wondering if anyone else has
seen this behavior?

-john

--
john.cooper@timesys.com