SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH 0/5] add execute in place support
On Wed, 11 May 2005 18:35:28 +0200, Carsten Otte wrote:

> Yes and no. For execute in place to work proper, you need an
> allignment of data to page boundaries "on disk" (or on flash)
> just like you have when mmap()ing to userland.
> Before choosing second extended, I also looked at some
> flash/rom filesystems. But I was unable to identify one that
> alligns the data proper (and does not compress things or
> such). The ext family with block size == PAGE_SIZE does
> fullfill that requirement once the "block device" starts on page
> boundary.
> On the other hand I believe that a filesystem specificaly
> designed for flash can provide less metadata overhead then
> second extended. Would also be interresting in our use-case
> on s390.

In principle, both the block device abstraction and the mtd
abstraction fit your bill. But jffs2 doesn't, so no in-kernel fs
could make use of a xip-aware mtd abstraction.

Patching jffs2 for xip looks like a major effort, at best, and utterly
insane at worst. I'd prefer not to go down that path.

Jörn

--
Optimizations always bust things, because all optimizations are, in
the long haul, a form of cheating, and cheaters eventually get caught.