SubjectRe: [RFC] RCU and CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT progress
On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 15:36 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 10:56:24PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

> > > But the flip is an integral part of detecting a grace period. So, if I
> > > understand your proposal correctly, I would have to flip to figure out
> > > when it was safe to flip.
> > >
> > > What am I missing here?
> >

> > int can_flip = 1;
> > int selector = 0;
> >
> > int counter[2] = {0, 0};
> >
> > void up()
> > {
> > ++counter[current->selection = selector];
>
> Suppose task 0 has just fetched the value of "selector". How does
> force_grace() know that it is now inappropriate to invert the value
> of "selector"?
>
> One might suppress preemption, but there can still be interrupts,
> ECC error correction, and just plain bad luck. So up() needs to
> be able to deal with "selector" getting inverted out from under it.
>
> Unless I am missing something still...

True, I see you point; there is a race between the = and ++ operators.

current->selection = selector;
--> gap
++counter[current->selection];

if you flip and the then old current->selection reached 0 before this
task gets executed again do_grace gets called and cleans the callbacks;
which should not matter since this task has not yet started using any
data. however it will be problematic because when it does get scheduled
again it works on the wrong counter and thus does not prevent a grace
period on the data will be using.

however I assumed you had these problems solved with your counter-based
approach. My code was meant to illustrate how I thought your double
inversion problem could be avoided.

Do you by any chance have a RCU impl. based on the counter-based
approach so I can try to understand and maybe try to intergrate my
ideas?

--
Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl>