SubjectRe: [RFC] RCU and CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT progress
On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 12:55:31PM +0200, Esben Nielsen wrote:
> On Mon, 9 May 2005, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
>
> > Hello!
> >
> > Making some progress on CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT-compatible RCU. Am exploring
> > two approaches, the lock-based approach discussed earlier and a
> > counter-flip approach, with the latter very likely being the method
> > of choice. The reason for working the former is to get myself up to
> > speed on details of CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT with something relatively simple.
> >
> > I am basing my work off of:
> >
> > http://people.redhat.com/mingo/realtime-preempt/older/realtime-preempt-2.6.12-rc1-V0.7.41-14
> >
> > since it works well on a four-CPU x86 system. I will port forward when
> > I have something worth considering for inclusion. To reiterate, the
> > patches referenced below are playtoys, for experimental and educational
> > use only.
> >

> > Lock-Based Approach
> >
> > 1. Trivial working patch:
> >
> > http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/RCU/patches/lbdf-2a.patch
> >
> > This one uses a single rwlock and a single global callback
> > list. This of course means that only one task may be in
> > an RCU read-side critical section at a time. Even so,
> > I had to split synchronize_kernel() into synchronize_rcu()
> > and synchronize_sched() -- I get infrequent hangs otherwise.
> > The implementation of synchronize_sched() is probably not what
> > it eventually needs to be, since it simply forces each CPU to
> > context switch, whether voluntary or preemption. Will be looking
> > into this later on.
> >
> *shiver* A single rwlock is bad in all respects, both regarding
> scaling and real-time behaviour.

Agreed, see above: "for experimental and educational purposes only".

> > 2. Slightly less trivial working patch:
> >
> > http://www.rdrop.com/users/paulmck/RCU/patches/lbdf-3a.patch
> >
> > This one uses a per-CPU rwlock, but keeps the single global
> > callback list. It is otherwise identical to #1.
> >
> Again, a single rwlock is very bad for RT behaviour.

Again, please see above. BTW, this is per-CPU rwlock, not a single
global one. But of course your point still stands, since bad latencies
can still be transmitted via the locks.

The purpose of this patch is to educate me on CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT, -not-
to be submitted for inclusion! ;-)

> > Next step is to go to per-CPU callback lists. If I was taking this
> > approach seriously, I would also experiment with multiple RCU read-side
> > locks per CPU, but I don't believe I would learn anything from that
> > exercise.
> >
> > The reason that I am not taking this approach seriously is that it
> > can impose high latencies on RCU read-side critical sections, as
> > discussed earlier on LKML. It also has high rcu_read_lock() and
> > rcu_read_unlock() overhead.
> >

> > Counter-Based Approach
> >
> > The current implementation in Ingo's CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT patch uses a
> > counter-based approach, which seems to work, but which can result in
> > indefinite-duration grace periods.
>
> Is that really a problem in practise? For RCU updates should happen
> rarely.

Yes. Several people have run into serious problems on small-memory
machines under denial-of-service workloads. Not pretty.

> > The following are very hazy thoughts
> > on how to get the benefits of this approach, but with short grace periods.
> >
> > 1. The basic trick is to maintain a pair of counters per CPU.
> > There would also be a global boolean variable that would select
> > one or the other of each pair. The rcu_read_lock() primitive
> > would then increment the counter indicated by the boolean
> > corresponding to the CPU that it is currently running on.
> > It would also keep a pointer to that particular counter in
> > the task structure. The rcu_read_unlock() primitive would
> > decrement this counter. (And, yes, you would also have a
> > counter in the task structure so that only the outermost of
> > a set of nested rcu_read_lock()/rcu_read_unlock() pairs would
> > actually increment/decrement the per-CPU counter pairs.)
>
> Why bother? What is the overhead of checking relative to just doing the
> increment/decrement?

The increment of the per-CPU counter pair is likely to incur a cache miss,
and thus be orders of magnitude more expensive than the increment of
the variable in the task structure. I did not propose this optimization
lightly. ;-)

> I had another idea: Do it in the scheduler:
> per_cpu_rcu_count += prev->rcu_read_count;
> if(per_cpu_rcu_count==0) {
> /* grace period encountered */
> }
> (do the task switch)
>
> per_cpu_rcu_count -= count->rcu_read_count;
>
> Then per_cpu_rcu_count is the rcu-read-count for all tasks except the
> current. During schedule there is no current and therefore it is the total
> count.

One downside of this approach is that it would maximally expand the
RCU read-side critical sections -- one of the things we need is to
avoid holding onto memory longer than necessary, as noted above.

Also, what prevents a grace period from ending while a task is
preempted in an RCU read-side critical section? Or are you intending
that synchronize_rcu() scan the task list as well as the per-CPU
counters?

> > To force a grace period, one would invert the value of the
> > global boolean variable. Once all the counters indicated
> > by the old value of the global boolean variable hit zero,
> > the corresponding set of RCU callbacks can be safely invoked.
> >
> > The big problem with this approach is that a pair of inversions
> > of the global boolean variable could be spaced arbitrarily
> > closely, especially when you consider that the read side code
> > can be preempted. This could cause RCU callbacks to be invoked
> > prematurely, which could greatly reduce the life expectancy
> > of your kernel.
> >
> > 2. #1 above, but use a seqlock to guard the counter selection in
> > rcu_read_lock(). One potential disadvantage of this approach
> > is that an extremely unlucky instance of rcu_read_lock() might
> > be indefinitely delayed by a series of counter flips. I am
> > concerned that this might actually happen under low-memory
> > conditions. Also requires memory barriers on the read side,
> > which we might be stuck with, but still hope to be able to
> > get rid of. And the per-CPU counter manipulation must use
> > atomic instructions.
>
> Why not just use
> preempt_disable();
> manipulate counters;
> preempt_enable();
> ??

Because we can race with the counter switch, which can happen on some
other CPU. Therefore, preempt_disable() does not help with this race.

> > 3. #1 above, but use per-CPU locks to guard the counter selection.
> > I don't like this any better than #2, worse, in fact, since it
> > requires expensive atomic instructions as well.
>
> local_irqs_disable() andor preempt_disable() should work as they counters
> are per-cpu, right?

Again, neither of these help with the race against the counter-switch,
which would likely be happening on some other CPU.

> Or see the alternative above: The counter is per task but latched to a
> per-cpu on schedule().

This could work (assuming that synchronize_rcu() scanned the task list
as well as the per-CPU counters), but again would extend grace periods
too long for small-memory machines subject to denial-of-service attacks.

> [...]
> > in the task structure rather than keeping them per-CPU. This
> > eliminates the need for atomic operations in rcu_read_lock() and
> > rcu_read_unlock(), but makes the update side do horribly expensive
> > task-list trawls. [So named because I thought of it while trying
> > to jog to the Australian National Zoo. I took a wrong turn, and
> > ended up running up a valley on the other side of Black Mountain,
> > so never did make it to the zoo. On the other hand, I did encounter
> > a herd of wild kangaroo and also thought up this approach, so I
> > think I came out OK on the deal.]
> >
> > 5. The National Train notion: #4 above, but keep a separate list
> > containing only preempted tasks that had non-zero RCU counters
> > at the time of preemption. In the (presumably) common case of
> > no preemption in RCU read-side critical sections, both the
> > read-side and the update-side overhead is low. But... There
> > is a problem with detecting tasks that are in long-running
> > RCU read-side critical sections that don't get preempted.
> > [So named because I thought of it on the UK National Train
> > somewhere between London and Winchester.]
> >
> > 6. Oak Hills option: keep per-CPU counters, which require atomic
> > increment/decrement in the general case, but use a fastpath
> > that (with preemption disabled) checks to see if the value of
> > the counter is zero (for rcu_read_lock()) or one (for
> > rcu_read_unlock()), and, if so, does the counter manipulation
> > non-atomically. Use atomics on the (presumably infrequent)
> > slow path, which is taken if someone gets preempted in the middle
> > of an RCU read-side critical section.
> >
> > Handle races between rcu_read_lock() and counter flips by
> > having rcu_read_lock() increment the counter, then checking
> > to see if it incremented the correct counter of the pair.
> > If it did not (i.e., the flip just happened), increment
> > the other counter of the pair as well, recording the fact that
> > both were incremented in the task struct. The rcu_read_unlock()
> > primitive then decrements any/all counters that rcu_read_lock()
> > incremented.
> >
> > Memory barriers are still needed in the non-atomic increment
> > and decrement cases. However, it may be possible to leverage
> > naturally occuring memory barriers (see for example Joe Seigh's
> > recent LKML posting on RCU+SMR: http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/5/9/129).
> > If the naturally occuring memory barriers aren't happening fast
> > enough (e.g., low memory situation), a round of IPIs should
> > suffice, for example, smp_call_function() to a function that
> > advances the callbacks on each CPU.
> >
> > If this one pans out, the common-case overhead of rcu_read_lock()
> > and rcu_read_unlock() would not be much more expensive than the
> > current CONFIG_PREEMPT implementations.
> >
> > There are probably better approaches, but that is what I have thus far.
>
> I was playing around with it a little while back. I didn't sned a patch
> though as I didn't have time. It works on a UP machine but I don't have a

There are some available from OSDL, right? Or am I out of date here?

> The ingreedients are:
> 1) A per-cpu read-side counter, protected locally by preempt_disable().

In order to avoid too-long grace periods, you need a pair of counters.
If you only have a single counter, you can end up with a series of
RCU read-side critical-section preemptions resulting in the counter
never reaching zero, and thus the grace period never terminating.
Not good, especially in small-memory machines subject to denial-of-service
attacks.

> 2) A task read-side counter (doesn't need protectection at all).

Yep. Also a field in the task struct indicating which per-CPU counter
applies (unless the scheduler is managing this).

> 3) Tasks having non-zero read-side counter can't be migrated to other
> CPUs. That is to make the per-cpu counter truely per-cpu.

If CPU hotplug can be disallowed, then this can work. Do we really want
to disallow CPU hotplug? Especially given that some implementations
might want to use CPU hotplug to reduce power consumption? There also
might be issues with tickless operation.

> 4) When the scheduler sees a SCHED_OTHER task with a rcu-read-counter>0 it
> boost the priority to the maximum non-RT priority such it will not be
> preempted by other SCHED_OTHER tasks. This makes the delay in
> syncronize_kernel() somewhat deterministic (it depends on how
> "deterministic" the RT tasks in the system are.)

But one would only want to do this boost if there was a synchronize_rcu()
waiting -and- if there is some reason to accelerate grace periods (e.g.,
low on memory), right? If there is no reason to accelerate grace periods,
then extending them increases efficiency by amortizing grace-period
overhead over many updates.

> I'll try to send you what I got when I get my computer at home back up.
> I have only testet id on my UP labtop, where it seems to run fine.

I look forward to seeing it!

Thanx, Paul

  Last update: 2005-05-10 16:49    [W:0.118 / U:0.436 seconds]