SubjectRe: Kernel SCM saga..
On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 19:40 +0200, Roman Zippel wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Apr 2005, Eric D. Mudama wrote:
> > > For example bk does something like this:
> > >
> > > A1 -> A2 -> A3 -> BM
> > > \-> B1 -> B2 --^
> > >
> > > and instead of creating the merge changeset, one could merge them like
> > > this:
> > >
> > > A1 -> A2 -> A3 -> B1 -> B2

> > I believe that flattening the change graph makes history reproduction
> > impossible, or alternately, you are imposing on each developer to test
> > the merge results at B1 + A1..3 before submission, but in doing so,
> > the test time may require additional test periods etc and with
> > sufficient velocity, might never close.
>
> The merge result has to be tested either way, so I'm not exactly sure,
> what you're trying to say.

The kernel changes. A lot. And often.

With that in mind, if (for example) A2 and A3 are simple changes that
are quick to test and B1 is large, or complex, or requires hours (days,
weeks) of testing to validate, then a maintainer's decision can
legitimately be to rebase a tree (say, -mm) upon the B1 line of
development, and toss the A2 branch back to those developers with a
"Sorry it didn't work out, something here causes Unhappiness with B1,
can you track down the problem and try again?"

Ray

  Last update: 2005-04-09 20:59    [W:0.162 / U:0.244 seconds]