    SubjectRe: [Fwd: Re: connector is missing in 2.6.12-rc2-mm1]
    On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 01:55 -0400, James Morris wrote:

    > > > This is a good point, in general, consider generically extending Netlink
    > > > itself instead of creating these separate things.
    > >

    > > Connector requires it's own registration technique for
    > > 1. hide all transport [netlink] layer from higher protocols which use
    > > connector
    >
    > Why?

    User should not know about low-level transport -
    it is like socket layer - write only data and do not care about
    how it will be delivered.

    > > 2. create different group appointment for the given connector's ID
    > > [it was different, now new group which is eqal to idx field is appointed
    > > the new callback]
    >
    > I don't understand.

    In the previous versions netlink group was assigned as incremented
    counter,
    that was not convenient, but now we have 2-way ID, which is better
    from users point of view - idx is supposed to be major id, val -
    some subsystem of that set.

    > > 3. provide more generic set of ids
    >
    > What do you mean by "ids"?

    Each connector message requires pair of u32 ids - idx and val.
    Idx is generic system id [which is equal to the appropriate netlink
    group
    in current implementation], while val is id of some subsytem
    inside idx.

    Using only group without it's own connector's id will heavily
    complex callback register/unregister notification [Jamal's suggested
    feature]
    for example.

    --
    Evgeniy Polyakov

    Crash is better than data corruption -- Arthur Grabowski

      Last update: 2005-04-08 08:48    [W:0.025 / U:0.592 seconds]