    SubjectRe: Kernel SCM saga..

    On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 Luck@unix-os.sc.intel.com wrote:

    > It looks like an operation like "show me the history of mm/memory.c" will
    > be pretty expensive using git.

    Yes. Per-file history is expensive in git, because if the way it is
    indexed. Things are indexed by tree and by changeset, and there are no
    per-file indexes.

    You could create per-file _caches_ (*) on top of git if you wanted to make
    it behave more like a real SCM, but yes, it's all definitely optimized for
    the things that _I_ tend to care about, which is the whole-repository
    operations.

    Linus

    (*) Doing caching on that level is probably find, especially since most
    people really tend to want it for just the relatively few files that they
    work on anyway. Limiting the caches to a subset of the tree should be
    quite effective.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:154.120 seconds]