SubjectRe: Kernel SCM saga..
On Fri, Apr 08, 2005 at 10:46:40AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> I can indeed stat the entire tree in that time (assuming it's in memory,
> of course, but my kernel trees are _always_ in memory ;), but in order to
> do so, I have to be good at finding the names to stat.

<pause ... tapity tap>

I just tested this (I wanted to be sure you didn't have some 47GHz
LiHe cooled Xeon or something).

On my somewhat slowish machine[1] (by today's standards anyhow) I can
stat a checked out tree (ie. the source files and not SCM files) in
about 0.10s it seems and 0.26s for an entire tree with BK files in it.

> In particular, you have to be extremely careful. You need to make
> sure that you don't stat anything you don't need to.

Actually, I could probably make this *much* still faster with a
caveat. Given that my editor when I write a file will write a
temporary file and rename it, for files in directories where nlink==2
I can check chat first and skip the stat of the individual files.

And I guess if I was bored I could have my editor or some daemon
sitting in the background intelligently using dnotify to have this
information on-hand more or less instantly. For this purpose though
that seems like a lot of effort for no real gain right now.

> Anybody who can't list the files they work on _instantly_ is doing
> something damn wrong.

Well, I do like to do "bk sfiles -x" fairly often. But then again I
can stat dirs and compare against a cache to make that fast too.

[1] Dual AthlonMP 2200

  Last update: 2005-04-08 20:10    [W:0.218 / U:0.492 seconds]