SubjectRe: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.
Adrian Bunk wrote:

>Debian doesn't seem to care much about the possible legal problems of
>patents.

The possible legal problem of software patents is, up to the present
time, AFAICT, not producing effects yet in Europe, and is a non-problem
in jurisdictions like mine (down here neither business methods nor
software are patentable).

>The firmware issues are an urgent real problem?

OTOH, the firmware issues *is* a legal real problem (copyright
infringement is even a criminal offense in a lot of juristictions --
down here, 6 months to 2 years of soft jail + fine for non-commercial
and 2 to 4 years of hard-jail + fine for commercial intents).

>Debian should define how much legal risk they are willing to impose on
>their mirrors and distributors and should act accordingly in all areas.

You are right, but as I told you, the mirrors are really worse when
there is a chance of copyrights infringement than of patents
infringement -- even on those jurisdictions that *have* software
patents, things are more difficult to prosecute in the patent field.

>But ignoring some areas while being more religious than RMS in other
>areas is simply silly.

Conceded. You are right on this.

HTH,
Massa

  Last update: 2005-04-08 14:13    [W:0.021 / U:1.968 seconds]