    Subject[2.4.27 arm skyminder] writing new keyboard handler - help!
    hi, please respond cc to me because i am not on the lkml.

    for a new arm linux embedded device called a skyminder, i'm responsible
    for getting all the drivers working. ha ha.

    the success of this device presents the linux community with
    an opportunity to own a linux-based mobile phone (even if it's
    not a very small phone - 8cm x 10cm x 1cm) - and it has a GPS
    module in it, as well.

    i'm endeavouring to adapt various bits of code to create a
    keyboard driver. they've adopted 2.4.27 and are too far down
    the line to move to 2.6 - yet.

    i particularly want to avoid - if i can - compiling this keyboard
    driver under development into the kernel (even though it's the primary
    keyboard) because downloading 600k over a serial link into flash ram
    isn't a) funny b) a good idea c) slows development time down.

    with that in mind, so far, i have:

    - cut/paste pc_keyb.c just like everyone else has (in celps_keyb.c,
    c711x_keyb.c, dummy_keyb.c etc.) to create k_translate,
    k_unexpected_up, k_setkeycode and k_getkeycode routines.

    - cut/paste usbkbd.c and adapted it to successfully call
    input_report_key on a key press and key release.

    then, on installation of module input, keybdev and sky_buttons,
    i happily get debug messages indicating key presses (keycode 31
    indicating 's') ... but no actual key events appear down my serial
    console.

    so, my question is: does anyone know off the top of their heads what i
    may have missed out that causes the keybdev event handler to _not_
    actually stuff keys out?

    am i... like... missing something really obvious, given that
    the console has been set to "serial"?

    where should i look to, to find the keys being outputted, if they're
    going anywhere?

    help, help, gloop.

    cheers,

    l.