    SubjectRe: bdflush/rpciod high CPU utilization, profile does not make sense
    On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 05:28:56PM -0400, Trond Myklebust wrote:
    > A look at "nfsstat" might help, as might "netstat -s".
    > In particular, I suggest looking at the "retrans" counter in nfsstat.

    When doing a 'cp largefile1 largefile2' on the client, I see approx. 10
    retransmissions per second in nfsstat.

    I don't really know if this is a lot...

    I also see packets dropped in ifconfig - approx. 10 per second... I
    wonder if these two are related.

    Client has an intel e1000 card - I just set the RX ring buffer to the
    max. of 4096 (up from the default of 256), but this doesn't seem to help
    a lot (I see the 10 drops/sec with the large RX buffer).

    I use NAPI - is there anything else I can do to make the card not drop
    packets? I'm just assuming that this might at least be a part of the
    problem, but with large RX ring and NAPI I don't know how much else I
    can do to not make the box drop incoming data...

    > When you say that TCP did not help, please note that if retrans is high,
    > then using TCP with a large value for timeo (for instance -otimeo=600)
    > is a good idea. It is IMHO a bug for the "mount" program to be setting
    > default timeout values of less than 30 seconds when using TCP.

    I can try that.

    / jakob

      Last update: 2005-04-07 17:31    [W:0.019 / U:135.936 seconds]