    SubjectRe: How's the nforce4 support in Linux?
    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Julien Wajsberg wrote:

    > On Apr 5, 2005 4:10 PM, Richard B. Johnson <linux-os@analogic.com> wrote:

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    >> The long-term solution is to replace either the drive, cable, or the
    >> motherboard that can't do DMA.
    > It's a recent drive that did ultra DMA on another motherboard, and a
    > recent motherboard with a cable that did ultra DMA before.It was ultra
    > DMA2 on this old motherboard, but it still was ultra DMA.
    >
    >> A bad DMA operation can write data
    >> anywhere (right into the middle of the kernel). There isn't
    >> anything software can do about it. Software sets up the
    >> controller for a DMA operation, then waits for an interrupt
    >> that tells it has completed or failed. Software can retry failed
    >> operations until software gets destroyed by the hardware, but
    >> there isn't anything else that can be done.
    >>
    >> The fact that disabling DMA makes the problem(s) go away is
    >> proof that it isn't a software problem. There are flash-RAM
    >> devices that emulate IDE drives. Most of these can't do DMA
    >> and the IDE driver doesn't accept that fact. That is a known
    >> bug. One needs to use hdparm to tell it to stop trying to
    >> use DMA. In your case, the driver stopped using DMA when
    >> it found out that it didn't work. There is no bug.
    >
    > In my case, the driver stopped for hdb, that is my dvd-burner/player.
    > It did nothing for hda or hdc, I had to disable DMA myself.
    >
    > Will I have to install Windows XP to prove ultra DMA works correctly
    > on this setup ? I really don't hope...

    How would you know? Windows will just run it as PIOW and be done
    with it. Did you ever try to copy a large file in XP? Try it.
    Try the same thing in linux on the same hardware. You don't need
    a stop-watch. On Win-XP, a 10 megabyte file (hardly large) takes
    about 10 seconds. That's 1 megabyte/second. Linux tries to be
    a bit faster.

    > --
    > Julien

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.6.11 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
    98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:46    [W:0.027 / U:0.196 seconds]