    SubjectRe: [patch] inotify for 2.6.11
    On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 17:53 -0700, Rusty Lynch wrote:

    > From just a casual look, it seems like this could be used to monitor the
    > comings and goings of processes by monitoring /proc. Unfortunately
    > inotify doesn't seem to be getting all the events on the proc filesystem
    > like it does on a real filesystem because I am not seeing new events every
    > time a new process is added or removed. The same is true if you attempt
    > to monitor something like /sys/bus/usb/devices/ and add/remove a usb
    > device.
    > On a side note, it's still rather interesting to monitor /proc and watch
    > all the traffic.

    Yah, I agree. I looked into doing this awhile back, when I noticed
    inotify did not generate events for /proc. We just need to add calls to
    the fsnotify hooks to the proc_create() and proc_delete_foo() stuff.

    The interfaces are capable, e.g. we can add support at anytime, even
    after inotify is merged. I'd be for it.

    Robert Love

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.019 / U:54.132 seconds]