SubjectRe: [patch] inotify for 2.6.11
On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 17:53 -0700, Rusty Lynch wrote:

> From just a casual look, it seems like this could be used to monitor the
> comings and goings of processes by monitoring /proc. Unfortunately
> inotify doesn't seem to be getting all the events on the proc filesystem
> like it does on a real filesystem because I am not seeing new events every
> time a new process is added or removed. The same is true if you attempt
> to monitor something like /sys/bus/usb/devices/ and add/remove a usb
> device.
>
> On a side note, it's still rather interesting to monitor /proc and watch
> all the traffic.

Yah, I agree. I looked into doing this awhile back, when I noticed
inotify did not generate events for /proc. We just need to add calls to
the fsnotify hooks to the proc_create() and proc_delete_foo() stuff.

The interfaces are capable, e.g. we can add support at anytime, even
after inotify is merged. I'd be for it.

Robert Love

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans