SubjectRe: i8042 controller on Toshiba Satellite P10 notebook - patch
Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Ok, try booting with "usb-handoff i8042.nomux". If that cures

yes, it cures both problems (death on reboot and ALPS), in fact. But I
must have *both* params. nomux without usb-handoff causes all input
devices to fail. Thanks goodness for ssh. Anyway - I'm now running a
clean 2.6.11.6 kernel that *works*.

> death-on-reboot problem then Vojtech already has a patch in
> 2.6.12-rc1:
>
> http://linux.bkbits.net:8080/linux-2.5/cset@41f8e2d7j4JtjbrlrI5eYgQQ86yDhg

Yes, this should fix the death-on-reboot (why oh why can't the BIOS just
"do the right thing"), it still won't get me alps though. For that I
need the nomux option - ie, a total different codepath than what that
patch attends to. And it probably won't fix the keyboard problem. This
sucks (don't get me wrong - I appreciate that my hardware is now
functioning properly - only things afaik that doesn't work now is the SD
card reader and suspend/hibernate and with ati-drivers there is not a
chance in hell that that'll ever work, neither of which is of critical
importance for me).

> Yes, with 4 ports your external mouse is independent from the touhpad.
> When you have only 1 port you can't use touchpad's extended mode
> together with an external mouse.

No external PS/2 port :).

>>With my patch I do get the ALPS support though - something which I
>>didn't get with usb-handoff, nor with acpi=off, nor with simply hacking
>>out the AUX_LOOP and AUX_TEST tests and just assuming the hardware is
>>there (I saw ALPS yesterday for the first time in my life for that matter).
>
> Hmm, I'd like to debug that once we resolve reboot problems.

Anything else that you would like me to try?

>>OT: I think I prefer synaptics multi-finger tapping to the tapping in
>>specific locations to get right and middle clicking, but that is another
>>story that probably has nothing to do with the kernel, and quite likely
>>something that is configurable in the synaptics xorg driver.
>
> You should be able to control that in xorg.conf.

My thoughts exactly. The same goes for gpm.

Thanks a lot for your time, patience and knowledge.

Jaco
--
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world,
http://www.kroon.co.za/

  Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.779 / U:0.192 seconds]