SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.12-rc1-V0.7.43-00
On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 22:47 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>
> > > Currently my fix is in yield to lower the priority of the task calling
> > > yield and raise it after the schedule. This is NOT a proper fix. It's
> > > just a hack so I can get by it and test other parts.
> >
> > yeah, yield() is a quite RT-incompatible concept, which could livelock
> > an upstream kernel just as much - if the task in question is SCHED_FIFO.
> > Almost all yield() uses should be eliminated from the upstream kernel,
> > step by step.
>
> Now the question is, who will fix it? Preferably the maintainers, but I
> don't know how much of a priority this is to them. I don't have the time
> now to look at this and understand enough about the code to be able to
> make a proper fix, and I'm sure you have other things to do too.

How about adding a
if(rt_task(current)) {
WARN_ON(1);
mutex_setprio(current, MAX_PRIO-1)
}
?

to find all calls to yields from rt-tasks. That will force the user (aka
the real-time developer) to either stop calling the subsystems still using
yield from his RT-tasks, or fix those subsystems.

Esben

> -- Steve

  Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.116 / U:0.084 seconds]