    SubjectRe: i8042 controller on Toshiba Satellite P10 notebook - patch
    On Apr 4, 2005 4:51 PM, Jaco Kroon <> wrote:
    > Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
    > > On Apr 4, 2005 3:35 PM, Jaco Kroon <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>As for loading the modules i8042, atkbd and psmouse (in that order):
    > >>black void of death.
    > >>
    > > Hmm.. remind me, if you boot with usb-handoff does it switch the i8042
    > > into active multiplexing mode (you get 4 AUX serio ports)?
    > >
    > Checking my logs it actually looks like usb-handoff did get 4 ports.
    > With my patch, however, I only get:
    > serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 12
    > serio: i8042 AUX port at 0x60,0x64 irq 1

    Ok, try booting with "usb-handoff i8042.nomux". If that cures
    death-on-reboot problem then Vojtech already has a patch in

    > >From the code I understand that this means that i8042_nomux != 0 or
    > i8042_check_mux() return != 0. So I assume that with the patch that
    > check_mux returns non-zero (and reversed logic means that 0 implies the
    > check succeeds, ie, it _fails_ with my patch installed). I don't know
    > which is the prefered mode of operation though (I guess MUX with 4 AUX
    > ports?).

    Yes, with 4 ports your external mouse is independent from the touhpad.
    When you have only 1 port you can't use touchpad's extended mode
    together with an external mouse.

    > With my patch I do get the ALPS support though - something which I
    > didn't get with usb-handoff, nor with acpi=off, nor with simply hacking
    > out the AUX_LOOP and AUX_TEST tests and just assuming the hardware is
    > there (I saw ALPS yesterday for the first time in my life for that matter).

    Hmm, I'd like to debug that once we resolve reboot problems.

    > OT: I think I prefer synaptics multi-finger tapping to the tapping in
    > specific locations to get right and middle clicking, but that is another
    > story that probably has nothing to do with the kernel, and quite likely
    > something that is configurable in the synaptics xorg driver.

    You should be able to control that in xorg.conf.

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.022 / U:12.264 seconds]