    SubjectRe: OOM problems on 2.6.12-rc1 with many fsx tests
    "Martin J. Bligh" <mbligh@aracnet.com> wrote:

    > >> We (Janet and I) are chasing this bug as well. Janet is able to
    > >> reproduce this bug on 2.6.9 but I can't. Glad to know you have nail down
    > >> this issue on ext3. I am pretty sure I saw this on Reiser3 once, I will
    > >> double check it. Will try your patch today.
    > >
    > > There's a second leak, with similar-looking symptoms. At ~50
    > > commits/second it has leaked ~10MB in 24 hours, so it's very slow - less
    > > than a hundredth the rate of the first one.
    >
    > What are you using to see these with, just kgdb, and a large cranial
    > capacity? Or is there some more magic?

    Nothing magical: run the test for a while, kill everything, cause a huge
    swapstorm then look at the meminfo numbers. If active+inactive is
    significantly larger than cahed+buffers+swapcached+mapped+minus-a-bit then
    it's leaked.

    Right now I have:

    MemTotal: 246264 kB
    MemFree: 196148 kB
    Buffers: 4200 kB
    Cached: 3308 kB
    SwapCached: 8064 kB
    Active: 21548 kB
    Inactive: 12532 kB
    HighTotal: 0 kB
    HighFree: 0 kB
    LowTotal: 246264 kB
    LowFree: 196148 kB
    SwapTotal: 1020116 kB
    SwapFree: 1001612 kB
    Dirty: 60 kB
    Writeback: 0 kB
    Mapped: 2284 kB
    Slab: 12200 kB
    CommitLimit: 1143248 kB
    Committed_AS: 34004 kB
    PageTables: 1200 kB
    VmallocTotal: 774136 kB
    VmallocUsed: 82832 kB
    VmallocChunk: 691188 kB
    HugePages_Total: 0
    HugePages_Free: 0

    33 megs on the LRU, unaccounted for in other places.

    Once the leak is nice and large I can start a new swapstorm, set a
    breakpoint in try_to_free_buffers() (for example) and start looking at the
    state of the page and its buffers.

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.069 / U:5.744 seconds]