    Subjectsecurity issue: hard disk lock

    I don't know if you guys already know, there is a possible security risk with
    all modern desktop-pcs and ata hard drives. In short:

    Modern ata drives can be locked by password. This lock could be set by a
    malicous software. This security feature can be frozen, so no programs can
    set a lock until the next reboot. Ususally, the BIOS should take care of
    locking the security feature, but most desktop BIOSes (unlike laptop BIOSes)
    fail to do so. Once a lock is set and the password is unknown, the drive is

    See for more details.

    In the above article, a patched hdparm is used to freeze the drive's security
    features. This can be used during boot to prevent programs from setting a
    password. However, a malicous program could infect the computer and install
    itself in the boot sequence prior to the execution of hdparm...

    I figured there could be a kernel compiled-in option that will make the kernel
    lock all drives found during bootup. then, a malicous program would need to
    install a different kernel in order to harm the drive, which would be much
    more secure.

    What do you think of this?

    PS: Please CC me in replies, I am not subscribed to the list.

      Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.389 / U:89.396 seconds]