SubjectRe: USB maintainer, Greg Kroah ---->> PWC discussion
On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 05:07:04PM +0200, Prisoner Of War wrote:

> Dear readers of this maillinglist,

Hi "Prisoner Of War" [1],

> Now my dear daughter has her own laptop and she insists to run linux on
> it. She just had her birthday and she got a nice logitec webcam so she
> can use it on that very stable system.
>
> BUT NO!!
>
> These days she can't anymore. Why ?? Because there's a problem between
> hrh Greg Kroah (usb maintainer) and somebody who did his best to give
> user the possibility of using a goodworking webcam.
>
> I don't want the discussion if it's proper or not to have that driver in
> the kernel. I have just the problem that i have todo more before it works...
>
> I realy don't give a sh*t about that. I just want one thing and that is
> that the webcam starts working again and work like in ASAP. Rather
> yesterday then today.

if you'd have looked at the facts instead of writing this public flame
you would have noticed, that the pwc driver was already in 2.6.12-rc
yesterday, and that it was even there several days before yesterday.

> So here's a user yrh Greg Kroah that realy wants that driver back in.
> I'm a user and i'm not alone! There are more users like me and what we
> want is that we have hardware which should work with the os we choose.
> We choose linux because it's stable and it's not wintendo. Are you gonna
> decide for us what we want ?? I hope not coz history tells us that those
> kind of people never last long...

It wasn't that Greg simply wanted to take the hardware support away from
the users of Linux.

Greg also does his best to give the users of Linux a good working
kernel. The details of how to achieve this might be discussible, but
constructive contributions are usually more constructive than public
flames.

> So what about it are you going to help me? And make it possible for us
> to use our choosen hardware?

Wait for 2.6.12.

Or (if there is a pressing need for you) use 2.6.11-ac or 2.6.12-rc3.

> I realy hope you listen to me / us because I / we choose linux above
> windows...

It's usually more impressive to point to your contributions to the
development of the Linux kernel (if any).

I for one have used a few minutes of the part of my spare time I do
spend for Linux kernel development for writing this email instead of
doing any work...

> Regards,
>
> Gabriel Kenter

cu
Adrian

[1] what a funny name your parents did choose for you

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed