    SubjectRe: [RFC] SAS domain layout for Linux sysfs
    On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:18:07AM -0400, Luben Tuikov wrote:
    > On 04/25/05 14:18, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > > The point is that discovery must happen for each HBA separately because
    > > we absolutely do not want to have global state.
    >
    > OK.
    >
    > Can you please define "global state"?

    Sure, quoting your initial mail:

    /----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | 2. Sysfs SAS Domain
    | -------------------
    |
    | Represent everything which "sits out there" in the SAS
    | domain, irrespective of how you connect to it.
    |
    | /sys/bus/sas/
    | /sys/bus/sas/<WWN_ta0>/
    | /sys/bus/sas/<WWN_ta0>/phys/

    \----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Here you have a global hiearchy. We are not interested in that, though -
    we only care for what's visible from a certain HBA.

    > In SAS, when the domain changes, the controller(s) connected to the
    > domain get notification and pass it to the discovery process, which
    > will run again.

    Same as with fibre channel, and that's fine and expected.

    > Overall, since the discovery process gets (internally) a "picture"
    > of the domain out there, it would be appropriate to show this
    > "picture" to the user.

    Absolutely.

      Last update: 2005-04-29 12:09    [W:0.021 / U:0.140 seconds]