    SubjectRe: [RFC/PATCH 0/5] read/write on attribute w/o show/store should return -ENOSYS
    * Greg KH (gregkh@suse.de) wrote:
    > On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 12:30:09AM -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Jean Delvare has noticed that if a driver happens to declare its
    > > attribute as RW but doesn't provide store() method attempt to write
    > > into such attribute will cause spinning process as most of the
    > > attribute implementations return 0 in case of missing store causing
    > > endless retries. In some cases missing show/store will return -EPERM,
    > > -EACCESS or -EINVAL.
    > >
    > > I think we should unify implementations and have them all return -ENOSYS
    > > (function not implemented) when corresponding method (show/store) is
    > > missing.
    >
    > What is the POSIX standard for this? ENOSYS or EACCESS?

    SuSv3 suggests EBADF, however we already do EINVAL at VFS for no write
    op. Although, returning 0 (i.e. wrote zero bytes) is still meaningful
    too.

    > Or anyone have a link that I can look this up at?

    http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/functions/write.html

    thanks,
    -chris

      Last update: 2005-04-28 19:44    [W:0.022 / U:1.348 seconds]