SubjectRe: Linux Alpha port: LVM
Sorry to bother you all ... the problem was that I issued some options
during configuration to specify where the kernel was, apparently I
should only do that on 2.4 series kernels.

I re-extracted the kernel sources and started over again. It's nor
working fine now.

Thanks anyway
--
Regards
Davide Rao

Davide Rao wrote:
>>> Is LVM working on the alpha port 2.6 kernel series ?
>>

>> works fine for me.
>

> Are you using a redhat based distro (like suse, mandrake, alpha core or
> indeed redhat )?
> Are you using stock kernel, libraries and tools or did you haveto build
> them yourself ?
> Debian comes with LVM1 tools that do not work with 2.6 kernels so I need
> to compile them myself or install some ready build binary package for
> alpha processor and compatible with the libraries that come with debian3.
> What alpha architecture are you running on ?
>

>>> If so where do I get libdevmapper so that I can build the userspace
>>> LVM utils ?
>>>
>>> I tryied downloading
>>> ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/dm/multipath-toolsmultipath-tools-0.4.3.tar.bz2
>>>

>> what do you think the 'dm' in that url stands for, hm?
>>

>>> But I fail to compile it so I'm also unable tu build the userspace
>>> lvm utils.
>>

>> 'userspace lvm utils' can be found here:
>>
>> ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/lvm2
>>
>> multipath tools might be something different ... :)
>

> It may also have something more but it has libdevmapper in it ...
> In any case I also tried downloading and compiling
> device-mapper.1.00.07.tgz from the link in the LVM2.
> It builds and installe fine but I still get compilation errore when I
> build LVM2.
> Configute is fine, here are a few lines concerning libdevmapper
>
> checking libdevmapper.h usability... yes
> checking libdevmapper.h presence... yes
> checking for libdevmapper.h... yes
>
> but when I try to compile:
>
> gcc -c -I. -I../include -DLVM1_INTERNAL -DPOOL_INTERNAL
> -DCLUSTER_LOCKING_INTERNAL -DSNAPSHOT_INTERNAL -DMIRRORED_INTERNAL
> -DDEVMAPPER_SUPPORT -DO_DIRECT_SUPPORT -DHAVE_LIBDL -DHAVE_GETOPTLONG
> -fPIC -Wall -Wundef -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wnested-externs -Winline
> -O2 cache/lvmcache.c -o cache/lvmcache.o
> activate/activate.c: In function `target_present':
> activate/activate.c:303: error: `DM_DEVICE_LIST_VERSIONS' undeclared
> (first use in this function)
> activate/activate.c:303: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
> only once
> activate/activate.c:303: error: for each function it appears in.)
> activate/activate.c:314: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `dm_task_get_versions'
> activate/activate.c:314: warning: nested extern declaration of
> `dm_task_get_versions'
> activate/activate.c:314: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer
> without a cast
> activate/activate.c:319: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
> same message repeated many times
> make[1]: *** [activate/activate.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/LVM2.2.01.09/lib'
> make: *** [lib] Error 2
>
> I'm using kernel 2.6.11.7 downloaded from kernel.org.
> Here's the relevent section for raid/lvm in config:
> [...]

  Last update: 2005-04-28 15:56    [W:0.068 / U:0.200 seconds]