SubjectRe: Device Node Issues with recent mm's and udev
Joe <joecool1029@gmail.com> wrote:

> This issue started to appear in around the 2.6.11-mm series.. it
> continues even now with 2.6.12-rc2-mm3.
>
> Attempting to copy an image to a device with a tool like dd, results
> in the device node being overwritten with the data, but the data is
> never sent to the destination drive for instance.
>
> To try to put it more plainly, I have a firmware image I am copying to
> an ipod. Normally the image sends with no issues and the ipod has the
> new firmware.
>
> With the recent mm's it treats the device node as a file and ls -l
> will show the size of the image as the size of the device node.
>
> Even things like fdisk are useless. I am not sure whether this is
> some sort of a udev crash or a problem with usb-storage. Nevertheless
> it is a problem, and it continues to happen.
>
> The last non-affected mm i can think of is 2.6.11-rc4-mm1.. though I'm
> fairly sure rc5 is good too.

Greg stuff.

Is the device node in /dev actually a block-special device, or is is coming
up as a regular file or something?

We might have fixed this. Please retest next -mm, which right now is
looking to be ~30 hours away.

  Last update: 2005-04-28 02:03    [W:0.064 / U:3.116 seconds]