SubjectRe: Mercurial 0.3 vs git benchmarks
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
>

>> And don't try to make me explain why the patchbomb has any IO time at
>> all,
>> it should all have fit in the cache, but I think the writeback logic
>> kicked in.
>

> The default log size on ext3 is quite small. Making the log larger
> probably would have helped.

Experience tells me that making the log larger does very good things for
performance in many load types. However, that fsync issue forcing the
write of the whole log may get worse if there's a lot pending.

I suspect this would be helped by noatime.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)