    SubjectRe: Git-commits mailing list feed.
    On Sat, Apr 23, 2005 at 12:30:38PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Jan Harkes wrote:
    > >
    > > Why not keep the tags object outside of the tree in the tags/ directory.
    > Because then you have all those special cases with fetching them and with
    > fsck, and with shared object directories. In other words: no.

    I respectfully disagree,

    rsync works fine for now, but people are already looking at implementing
    smarter (more efficient) ways to synchronize git repositories by
    grabbing missing commits, and from there fetching any missing tree and
    file blobs. However there is no such linkage to discover missing tag
    objects, only a full rsync would be able to get them and for that it has
    to send the name of every object in the repository to the other side to
    check for any missing ones.

    So fetching tags is already going to be a special case.

    And any form of validation of a tag is a special operation. In fact tags
    could be as simple as a the sha of an (like pasky's tags) followed by
    the detached pgp signature of the tagged object instead of trying to
    signing the tag itself. That also avoids having to strip the signature
    part from the tag when we want to validate it.

      Last update: 2005-04-23 22:54    [W:0.028 / U:8.052 seconds]