SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.12-rc3
Dear diary, on Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 09:00:09PM CEST, I got a letter
where Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> told me that...
> Hi!

Hi,

> > > Well, not sure.
> > >
> > > I did
> > >
> > > git track linus
> > > git cancel
> > >
> > > but Makefile still contains -rc2. (Is "git cancel" right way to check
> > > out the tree?)
> >
> > No. git cancel does what it says - cancels your local changes to the
> > working tree. git track will only set that next time you pull from
> > linus, the changes will be automatically merged. (Note that this will
> > change with the big UI change.)
>
> Is there way to say "forget those changes in my repository, I want
> just plain vanilla" without rm -rf?

git cancel will give you "plain last commit". If you need plain vanilla,
the "hard way" now is to just do

commit-id >.git/HEAD

but your current HEAD will be lost forever. Or do

git fork vanilla ~/vanilla linus

and you will have the vanilla tree tracking linus in ~/vanilla.

I'm not yet sure if we should have some Cogito interface for doing this
and what its semantics should be.

> I see quite a lot of problems with fsck-tree. Is that normal?
> (I ran out of disk space few times during different operations...)

Actually, in case your tree is older than about two days, I hope you did
the convert-cache magic or fetched a fresh tree?

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/