    SubjectRe: /proc/cpuinfo format - arch dependent!
    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Nico Schottelius wrote:

    > Lee Revell [Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 04:42:12PM -0400]:
    >> On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 22:00 +0200, Nico Schottelius wrote:
    >>> Can you tell me which ones?
    >> Multimedia apps like JACK and mplayer that use the TSC for high res
    >> timing need to know the CPU speed, and /proc/cpuinfo is the fast way to
    >> get it.
    >> Why don't you create sysfs entries instead? It would be better to have
    >> all the cpuinfo contents as one value per file anyway (faster
    >> application startup).
    > Well, sounds very good. It's a chance for me to learn to program
    > sysfs and also to create something useful.
    > So the right location to place that data would be
    > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuX?

    IIRC there was such patch not very long ago and it was rejected (to not
    make kernel larger or something like that...). But I can be wrong.

    I think that all data from /proc that are not user-process data should be
    exported using sysfs or something similar. Maybe even in future one will
    write userspace fs (using FUSE?) to emulate old /proc entries using sysfs
    exported data. This will allow removing all proc code from kernel. Maybe
    even user processes data should be exported using sysfs (like
    /sys/processes/123/maps/41610000/file)? But this is my personal opinion.

    Grzegorz Kulewski

      Last update: 2005-04-19 23:11    [W:0.020 / U:4.260 seconds]