SubjectRe: [INFO] Kernel strict versioning
Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Yes, but you still can't change .config. You enable SMP, your binary
> compatibility is history. You _have_to_ be able to enable SMP and
> _you_have_ to be able to disable it.
>
> The following kernel packages are parts of Fedora Core 3:
> kernel-2.6.9-1.667.i586.rpm
> kernel-2.6.9-1.667.i686.rpm
> kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.667.i586.rpm
> kernel-smp-2.6.9-1.667.i686.rpm

That's because SMP makes a different architecture. So, let's not talk
about SMP, beacuse it's not a problem.

> 4 of them, each with a different ABI. And this is all the same kernel
> major-minor-version-subversion and the same compiler - only the settings
> differ.

Of course. When upgrading to kernel-2.6.10.i586.rpm? Why should you
screw up the modules you've compiled? They all belong to 2.6 series.

> Being modular has nothing to do with the "problem" (except it's probably
> required, but Linux _is_ modular for some time now).

It gives more freedom to change the implementation resulting in a easy
mantainance. Modularity make things easy... little things that work,
isn't it a unix motto? :)

> Not "can". You have to. You don't want the kernel running on your dual
> Athlon MP to power your old Pentium MMX test machine. The modules are
> irrelevant.

Why always SMP! You are talking about porting a SPARC kernel on a 386!
I'm talking about having the same binary kernel distribution for your
achitecture, let's say i586, and being able to upgrade the kernel
without hassles. No person on earth can imagine using a kernel for
x86_64 on a i486! :)

> You can have it in /boot. In fact, it's not a kernel issue.

I know, I was just wondering why kernel and modules were on different
locations.

> Actually, because boot can be a small partition, and may lack support
> for, say, long filenames.
> Actually, I put the kernels in /lib/modules/* as well. I have no /boot
> file systems and I like the idea of rm -rf /lib/modules/something
> deleting all files related to a particular kernel.

I always use a /boot partition. Anyway, /boot will always exist as /lib,
and you can always do a rm -rf /boot/kernel/modules :)

--
Sensei <mailto:senseiwa@tin.it> <pgp:8998A2DB>
<icqnum:241572242>

  Last update: 2005-04-14 19:14    [W:0.126 / U:0.372 seconds]