SubjectServerworks LE and MTRR write-combining question

Hello,

I'd like to begin by humbly thanking everyone who works on the kernel
for their time and patience and energy. Without you my company would
have had to spend a lot more on software and gotten nowhere near as much
value in return!

I have a question regarding my motherboard's serverworks LE chipset and
MTRR write-combining.
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/cpu/mtrr/main.c will not allow
write-combining because of the potential for data corruption,
but according to the following old LKML post, this is only true for
certain old revisions of the motherboard:

http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0104.3/1007.html

This person even submitted a patch which looked like it was going to be
accepted, but nothing happened after that. I checked the output of lspci
and my revision (06) was the first one where the fix was included,
according to this person's post. I therefore disabled the check and
recompiled my kernel (2.6.12-rc2-mm3, which is noticeably faster than
the default fedora core 3 kernel, with nearly the same configuration). X
was able to setup a write-combining range (I had to disable one that was
setup already but it didn't seem to affect anything else) and I've been
working over four hours (wow!) without any corruption or lockups. Just
wondering if anyone had any updates on this issue, and if not, hey,
that's why the source is there -- for me to screw around with. ;)

--
Mike Russo
ReadQ Systems, Inc.

Random quote of the day:
We are sorry. We cannot complete your call as dialed. Please check
the number and dial again or ask your operator for assistance.

This is a recording.

  Last update: 2005-04-15 01:06    [W:0.037 / U:1.184 seconds]