SubjectRe: Why system call need to copy the date from the userspace before using it
On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Hacksaw wrote:

>>> Why not use it directly
>> Some of these reasons are:
>
> It seems like you gave reason why userland pointers shouldn't be trusted, not
> why userland data should be copied into kernel land. All the problems you
> mentioned would have to be solved by the kernel regardless of copying the data
> around.

You do not seem to understand. Assume that I did a read(fd, buf, len) and
the length would overflow a user-mode buffer. One needs to make sure
that the kernel is protected and the user gets a seg-fault. Since the
kernel, in kernel mode, can do anything it pleases, including destroying
itself, one needs to make sure that it won't. Therefore a special
kind of memcpy() was designed, called copy_to/from_user to protect the
kernel.

> Ummm... Except for the who's mapped now problem. That's pretty weird. I guess
> that's something that comes with trying to use tons of RAM in a 32 bit system.
>
> I thought the big issue was the need to lock the page(s) during the call, and
> maybe some tricky races which made the idea difficult.
> --

The kernel does NOT have to copy data from user-space before
using it. In fact, user-mode pointers are valid in kernel-space
when the kernel is performing a function on behalf of the user-
mode code. The problem is that data-space is usually allocated
in user-mode code (like using malloc()). When the kernel needs
to access that buffer, it has no clue how much the user-code
allocated. It can't trust that the user-code put in the right
buffer length. Therefore, it needs to set up a user-mode trap
if the access attempts to go beyond the buffer length.

Examples of not copying to/from user mode is memory-mapped
data. The kernel knows how much data was actually mapped. It
also knows if it will page-fault when being accessed. If
DMA is being performed to such memory, it needs to be reserved
so it won't be paged. It also has to be non-cached so that
writes that the CPU didn't do can be read properly by the CPU.

Under these conditions, the kernel-mode code writes or DMAs
directly to some user buffer. User-mode code needs to find
out when new data are available, perhaps using select() or
poll().

If you are writing a driver, never attempt to copy/to/from/user
with a spin-lock held. You need to allow page-faults to
occur because the user's RAM may have been "borrowed" by
somebody else (paged out). A page-fault needs to occur to
replace the user's RAM-data and reconnect to the user's
working-set.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.11 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

  Last update: 2005-04-13 14:44    [W:0.352 / U:0.012 seconds]