    SubjectRe: [patch 3/9] no PF_MEMALLOC tinkering
    Nick Piggin <> wrote:
    > PF_MEMALLOC is really not a tool for tinkering. It is pretty specifically
    > used to prevent recursion into page reclaim, and to prevent low memory
    > deadlocks.
    > The mm/swap_state.c code was the only legitimate tinkerer. Its concern
    > was addressed by the previous patch.

    What previous patch? radix tree allocation doesn't use mempools, so this
    patch will cause add_to_swap() to oom the machine with radix tree node

    Now if we were to add __GFP_NOMEMALLOC in add_to_swap() then things would
    work as we want them to.

    The dm_crypt change looks OK.

    The code in mpage.c is saying "if we failed to allocate a correctly-sized
    bvec and if we're doing pageout then try to allocate a smaller-sized bvec

    It's probably fairly useless, but afaict there's nothing in any of the
    other patches here which makes it redundant.

      Last update: 2005-04-13 04:08    [W:0.028 / U:9.756 seconds]