    SubjectRe: [rfc] git: combo-blobs

    * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:

    > > Also, with a 'replicate the full object on every 8th commit'
    > > rule the risk would be somewhat mitigated as well.
    >
    > ..but not the complexity.
    >
    > The fact is, I want to trust this thing. Dammit, one reason I like GIT
    > is that I can mentally visualize the whole damn tree, and each step is
    > so _simple_. That's extra important when the object database itself is
    > so inscrutable - unlike CVS or SCCS or formats like that, it's damn
    > hard to visualize from looking at a directory listing.

    ok. Meanwhile i found another counter-argument: the average committed
    file size is 36K, which with gzip -9 would compress down to roughly 8K,
    with the commit message being another block. That's 2+1 blocks used per
    commit, while with deltas one could at most cut this down to 1+1+1
    blocks - just as much space! So we would be almost even with the more
    complex delta approach, just by increasing the default compression ratio
    from 6 to 9. (but even with the default we are not that bad.)

    case closed i guess. (The network bandwith issue can/could indeed be
    solved independently, without any impact to the fundamentals, as you
    suggested.)

    Ingo

      Last update: 2005-04-11 19:08    [W:0.021 / U:61.132 seconds]