    SubjectRe: security issue: hard disk lock
    Hi Alan!

    Thanks for the info

    Am Montag 11. April 2005 17:36 schrieb Alan Cox:
    > It makes little difference as the attacker can replace the kernel and
    > reboot.
    > Anyway they can flash erase your video card bios, your IDE firmware,
    > your BIOS
    > and far more just as easily.

    Yes, but a new video-card or Motherboard can be easily bought (although it
    costs), but the data on a locked disk is lost forever, unless you pay for
    professional recovery (which is also a time-issue, if time critical data is
    stored on the disk). Of course, this can be solved with a good backup

    I agree with you though, that this really isn't a kernel issue, but a BIOS
    thing. Distributors should/could provide additional security by freezing the
    security-features early during boot, until BIOS vendors do their homework.

    PS: Still not on the list, so please CC me in an eventual reply.

      Last update: 2005-04-11 18:10    [W:0.020 / U:38.180 seconds]