    SubjectRe: 2.6.12-rc2-mm2
    On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 12:48:34AM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > kernel-rcupdatec-make-the-exports-export_symbol_gpl.patch
    > add-deprecated_for_modules.patch
    > add-deprecated_for_modules-fix.patch
    > deprecate-synchronize_kernel-gpl-replacement.patch
    > deprecate-synchronize_kernel-gpl-replacement-fix.patch
    > change-synchronize_kernel-to-_rcu-and-_sched.patch
    >

    > Please drop these patches.

    Please keep them!

    > Using these symbols in non-GPL modules is a legal problem at least in
    > the USA except for IBM,

    Again, based on what line of reasoning? Again, the obvious lines
    of reasoning do not apply.

    > and all we've heard from IBM is that they are
    > not 100% sure that there is really no binary-only module by IBM that
    > might use these symbols.

    From my earlier message (http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/4/4/244):

    Agreed, in that I know of no binary module that uses RCU. However,
    I cannot -prove- that there is no such module.

    IOW, I am also not 100% sure that there is really no binary-only module
    using these symbols by -anyone-, including someone -other- than IBM.
    In addition, I know of no way that -anyone- could possibly be 100% sure
    that there is really no binary-only module using symbols. Hence the
    approach of providing the year "grace period" before transitioning to
    EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL().

    > The risk of anyne using them only increases (no matter that it's marked
    > as deprecated) as long as it's available - and nobody has until now
    > claimed that he's actually using one pf them in a binary-only module.

    I am not convinced that the risk of usage increases significantly.
    However, even if someone does start using them in a binary module, they
    will have been warned. Yes, someone could possibly ignore the warning.
    They -still- will have been warned, so that any "damage" would be
    self-inflicted. Therefore, as noted earlier, the symbol transitions
    to EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL() one year after its inclusion, regardless of any
    people who ignored warnings.

    Thanx, Paul

    > cu
    > Adrian
    >
    > --
    >
    > "Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out
    > of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days.
    > "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
    > Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed

      Last update: 2005-04-11 17:21    [W:0.025 / U:3.020 seconds]