SubjectRe: Re: more git updates..
Dear diary, on Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:28:54AM CEST, I got a letter
where Junio C Hamano <junkio@cox.net> told me that...

> CL> On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 12:51:59AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> >>
> >> But I am wondering what your plans are to handle renames---or
> >> does git already represent them?
> >>

> CL> Rename should just work. It will create a new tree object and you
> CL> will notice that in the entry that changed, the hash for the blob
> CL> object is the same.
>
> Sorry, I was unclear. But doesn't that imply that a SCM built
> on top of git storage needs to read all the commit and tree
> records up to the common ancestor to show tree diffs between two
> forked tree?

No. See diff-tree output and
http://pasky.or.cz/~pasky/dev/git/gitdiff-do for how it's done.
Basically, you just take the two trees and compare them linearily (do a
normal diff on them, essentialy). Then the differences you spot this way
are everything what needs to appear in the patch.

> I suspect that another problem is that noticing the move of the
> same SHA1 hash from one pathname to another and recognizing that
> as a rename would not always work in the real world, because
> sometimes people move files *and* make small changes at the same
> time. If git is meant to be an intermediate format to suck
> existing kernel history out of BK so that the history can be
> converted for the next SCM chosen for the kernel work, I would
> imagine that there needs to be a way to represent such a case.
> Maybe convert a file rename as two git trees (one tree for pure
> move which immediately followed by another tree for edit) if it
> is not a pure move?

Actually, this could be possible too I think. We will have to make
diff-tree two-pass, but it is already so blinding fast that I guess that
doesn't hurt too much. I might try to get my hands on that.

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/