SubjectRe: YABM (Yet another benchmark)
Jeroen Vreeken schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> This benchmark was made in response to a recent post here on lkm were
> Linus indicated he would welcom pretty much any benchmark.
> Since there are already several database benchmarks, 3d benchmarks I
> opted for a more down to earth approach.
> As such I am pleased to announce the 'linux kernel hacker benchmark',
> a benchmark designed to simulate the activities of the average linux
> kernel hacker.
> With this benchmark it should be possible to measure the performance
> off the kernel for its most important user group, the kernel hacker.
>
> This workload turns out to be relativly simple to simulate as can be
> seen in the attached benchmark program 'lkh-bm.c'.
> It is compiled with 'gcc -Wall lkh-bm.c -o lkh-bm'.
>
> This test has been run on all 2.6 releases and several older kernels
> dating some years back. Unfortunatly 1.1 and lower kernels aren't able
> to complete the test.
> The compiler used was gcc 3.2.3, the cpu a Celeron @ 2.4GHz.
> I plan to run this test daily on all releases, bk, mm and ac snapshots
> and maybe more trees on kernel.org asuming nobody objects to me doing
> a recursive web-suck with wget.
>
> At the end of this post you will find the already done benchmarks.
> As Linus seems to dig pretty pictures a graph has been attached
> (lkh-bm.gif) with the same results.
> Surprisingly the number seems to be constant during the last years.
> This could either indicate that the kernel hasn't regressed for years
> in this respect (which would mean somebody is doing a fine job indeed)
> or it could mean that the average kernel hacker simply doesn't do much
> usufull anyway....
>
> Regards,
> Jeroen
>

> Benchmark results:
> 1.1.0 0
> 1.1.20 0
> 1.1.40 0
> 1.1.60 0
> 1.2.0 603
> 2.0.0 604
> 2.0.10 605
> 2.0.20 600
> 2.0.30 601
> 2.2.0 602
> 2.2.10 603
> 2.2.20 604
> 2.4.0 605
> 2.4.10 600
> 2.4.20 601
> 2.6.0 602
> 2.6.1 603
> 2.6.2 604
> 2.6.3 605
> 2.6.4 600
> 2.6.5 601
> 2.6.6 602
> 2.6.7 603
> 2.6.8 604
> 2.6.9 605
> 2.6.10 600
> 2.6.11 601

>#include <stdio.h>
>#include <time.h>
>
>#define MEASUREMENT_TIME 60
>#define LINUS_CONSTANT 6

> [...]
This is _not_ serious a benchmark! It's just a counter! A _real_
benchmark would test threads, memory management, the schedule, . . . I
guess on a NetBSD or Windows machine with the same Hardware you would
get the same result.

Matthias-Christian Ott

  Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.053 / U:0.168 seconds]