SubjectRe: noresume breaks next suspend [was Re: 2.6.12-rc1 swsusp broken]
Hi!

> > > Both patches are working for me (Dell D600). before i was unable to
> > > suspend to disk on this laptop (it was stuck in alps code).
> > >
> > > By the way, i have an unrelated problem:
> > > if the kernel was booted with the "noresume" option, it cannot be
> > > suspended, it fails with:
> > >
> > > swsusp: FATAL: cannot find swap device, try swapon -a!
> >
> > Uh, okay, logic error, probably introduced by resume-from-initrd
> > patch. Does this fix it?
> >
> > OTOH, perhaps refusing suspend is right thing to do. If user is
> > running in "safe mode" (with noresume), we don't want him to be able
> > to suspend...
>
> What? If you suspend, then decide not to resume, you can suspend again
> until after your next reboot?!

Yes, in current code. It was a bug. OTOH that means that you can not
suspend from safe mode, and that's good: if you *do* suspend from safe
mode, there's basically no way for you to resume [user *could* select
safe mode next time, and kill noresume, but I don't think many users
will figure that out.]

So I can fix the bug (patch was attached), but that means that it
would be nice to prevent suspend from safe mode in next SuSE... And
probably other distros, too.

(Safe mode is grub setting with noapic noresume....)

Pavel