SubjectRe: [patch 2.6.12-rc1-mm4] fork_connector: add a fork connector
On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 16:10 -0800, Jay Lan wrote:
> Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> >Guillaume Thouvenin <guillaume.thouvenin@bull.net> wrote:
> >

> >> This patch adds a fork connector in the do_fork() routine.
> >>
> >> The fork connector is used by the Enhanced Linux System Accounting
> >>project http://elsa.sourceforge.net
> >>

> >Does it also meet all the in-kernel requirements for other accounting
> >projects?
> >
> >If not, what else do those other projects need?
> >

> Hi Andrew,
>
> As the discussion in this thread of the past few days showed, this
> patch intends to take care of process grouping, but not the
> accounting data collection. Besides my concern of possibility of
> data loss, this patch also provides CSA information to handle process
> grouping as it intends to do. I plan to run some testing to see percentage
> of data loss when system is under stress test, but improvement at
> CBUS as Evgeniy indicated should help!
>
> Please be advised that i still need an do_exit handling to save accounting
> data. But, it is a separate issue.

My five copecks [or two cents]:
fork connector with CBUS [with theirs upto 2.5 % degradation
with huge disk writes per fork] are still much faster than any existing
accounting models.

But it is purely accounting project author to think about
accounting design though...

--
Evgeniy Polyakov

Crash is better than data corruption -- Arthur Grabowski

  Last update: 2005-04-06 13:31    [W:0.055 / U:0.544 seconds]