SubjectRe: [BUG] 2.6.11- sym53c8xx Broken on pp64

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> BTW, Linus: Any chance you ever change something to version or
> extraversion in bk just after a release ? I know I already ask and it
> degenerated into a flamefest, and I don't know if that is specifically
> the case now, but I keep getting report of people saying "I have a bug
> in 2.6.xx" while in fact, they have some kind of bk clone of sometime
> after 2.6.xx...

The answer is the same: I'd still like to have somebody (preferably Sam)
who is comfortable with all the build scripts get a revision-control-
specific version at build-time, so that BK users would get the top-of-tree
key value, and other people could get some CVS revision or something.

I don't want to tag things just randomly, especially as it would be very
error-prone (read: I'd forget). A script that looks at the top revision,
and if it's not a tag, takes the key value and appends it to the build
version seems to be The Right Thing (tm).

I have this dim memory that Sam might even have had some early trials, but
maybe thats just wishful thinking.. Sam?

Linus

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans