    SubjectRe: PCMCIA product id strings -> hashes generation at compilation time? [Was: Re: [patch 14/38] pcmcia: id_table for wavelan_cs]

    > > > The difficulty is that extracting and evaluating them breaks the wonderful
    > > > bus-independent MODNAME implementation for hotplug suggested by Roman Kagan
    > > > ( http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hotplug.devel/7039 ), and that these
    > > > strings may contain spaces and other "strange" characters. The latter may be
    > > > worked around, but the former cannot. /etc/hotplug/pcmcia.agent looks really
    > > > clean because of this MODNAME implementation:
    > >
    > > Same goes with Open Firmware match strings that we are about to pass
    > > down to userspace as well. Hotplug will have to learn to deal with
    > > those.
    >
    > Ok, any suggestions that don't involve hashes?

    Not sure, I haven't looked at the details & issues involves (I just
    "spotted" the issue about space while quick-reading lkml). I suppose
    quotes around the strings are good enough, at least for OF, I yet have
    to see a "compatible", "name" or "type" property with quotes in it...

    Ben.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:11    [W:0.018 / U:139.976 seconds]